Participants are required to have a working webcam and a compatible browser. To ensure a smooth discussion, all participants are screened for these requirements in advance of the research session.
The Discuss.IO cloud-based software has been designed to be compatible with devices running Windows and MAC OSX, with no special hardware or software required. Linux is not currently supported.
Discuss.io provides a handy all-in-one way to check your system’s suitability: https://www.discuss.io/tech/
- Google Chrome (latest release version)
- Firefox (latest release version)
Take note of both upload and download speeds:
- Upload: ≥ 1 Mbps (recommended lowest level).
- Download: ≥ 1 Mbps (recommended lowest level).
(N.b.: Participants at lower connection speeds cannot reliably send or receive screen shares. Acceptable speed calculated based on sharing a 1024 × 728 px at 10 frames per second. )
- Any standard webcam integrated or external).
- A headset with a microphone.
- If attending from meeting rooms, echo–canceling speakerphones.