The article summarizes helpful troubleshooting tips for helping video conferencing software to work correctly.
Many common audio and video problems can be traced to an incorrect configuration, insufficient bandwidth, or outdated browsers.
- Test whether OpenTok and WebRTC, which are underlying components of Discuss.io, work by running the OpenTok connectivity test and the WebRTC check.
- Check that users meet bandwidth requirements by testing speed at speedtest.net or checking from within Discuss.io.
- Ensure that Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Internet Explorer (or Edge on Windows 10) are up-to-date.
- Select the correct web camera and microphone (details below).
- If OpenTok fails, open Port 443 in your firewall application. (Refer to your network administrator or specific documentation for instructions on opening ports.)
- If participants have low bandwidth, features of the platform and audio/video quality may suffer.Bandwidth should exceed 500 kbps upload and download; participants may not be able to share screens at speeds below 1 Mbps.
- If you have been trying Discuss.io on one browser, try other browsers (such as Chrome, Firefox, et cetera) or upgrade your browser.
- Select the correct audio and video configuration:
- Within the meeting room, open “Audio Video Settings” settings dialog
- Click Test Settings button. Confirm that you can see yourself in the webcam’s input is visible and the microphone is picking up sound.
YouCam is a frequent culprit. It is a video effect’s application that comes pre-installed on HP computers (amongst others). It often will fail to display the user’s face if it hasn’t been configured properly instead showing the YouCam logo.
Common Symptoms and Causes
Most issues should be resolved by following the guidelines above because Discuss.io runs on open, cloud-based technology that is designed to work without hand configuration.
Why does the video freeze or the audio lag?
Internet bandwidth speed affects audio and video quality. In addition, streaming or downloading other items while in a Discuss.IO video chat can also affect the quality. Other things to keep in mind:
- WiFi is not as stable as a wired connection. A wired connection is recommended for conducting video chats.
- The connection of the other participants has an effect, and extreme distances can also cause latency issues when video chatting.
The greater the number of participants, the more crucial it is to test for slower speeds.
Why is there an echo or other audio feedback?
If the microphone picks up the virtual meeting room’s sound from the participants’ environment, it creates a feedback loop.
Please ensure everyone is using headphones, or, if using a headset is not an option or does not solve the echo, you can dial into a discussion by telephone.
I called in by telephone, but I can’t hear anybody else talking.
Currently, in discussions in which one participant needs to dial in, all participants should dial into the telephone bridge.
I can hear others, but nobody can hear me.
Most of the time, this is because the microphone that has been selected isn’t working. Read above to see how to select and test a microphone.